Friday 6 December 2013

PALEO Almond crusted baked chicken fingers

Okay, so I love chicken fingers. Who can resist those yummy chicken tenders at Wendy's, am I right?
Unfortunately, these things are absolutely awful for you. Fried and full of empty calories. I can't even be sure if they use real chicken...
SO! I am proposing a new recipe. I've recently gone Paleo (and when I say recently, I mean 5-days ago recently), so I've been trying to come up with all sorts of new ways to make food taste good. Gluten-free seems easy to Paleo- absolutely noooo grains (not even my beloved oatmeal) is allowed. 
BUT lots of protein and veggies are allowed. So here is where I came up with this protein-infused, paleo-friendly dinner! Hope you enjoy nearly as much as I did :)

You will need:
3/4 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of dried/powdered mustard
1/2 cup of sliced almonds
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
PAM
2 egg whites
2 chicken breasts

Serves two.

Prep:
1. First, cut the chicken breasts into strips. It helps the chicken cook faster and then when they're done, they'll slightly resemble your beloved Wendy's chicken tenders. Preheat oven to 475F, and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and spray it with PAM 
2. In a blender or food processor, grind your almonds, spice and salt and pepper. Once a grainy texture, add the oil and blend again until grainy/clumpy. Put this mixture in a shallow dish
3. Beat egg whites in a small bowl, and then add the chicken into bowl and mix until chicken is completely dowsed in egg whites
4. Take each strip out, and roll in the almond mixture. Then place on you wire rack and place in the oven. It should look like this:

5. Bake for 20 minutes, 25 tops- only until they are no longer pink in the middle and have a nice golden brown colour. Serve with a heaping, steaming plate of veggies (my personal favourite is lemon asparagus and green beans) and enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment